Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fall is here...

...and nothing gets me more excited than the prospect of spending every free minute on the trails whether riding or running.  If I had it my way every day would be as ideal for hitting the trails as this October has provided us Kansas Citians.  If you don't get out on a mountain bike often or ever you are missing out.  I know its 'cross season.  I know it always great to get out on the road bike this time of year.  Hell, it's a great time of the year to squeeze in a full or half-marathon.  I'm not going to argue with anyone who is throwing a leg over the bike or waking up early to lace up the running shoes and hit the road before work.  I will tell you that if you aren't getting out and experiencing some of the great trail systems the greater Kansas City area has to offer you are missing out.

I'm lucky enough to live less than a 5-mile ride to Swope Park; a trail I consider to be the best in the city, if not the area.  I spent a good portion of Monday afternoon there and try to get out to Swope three times a week.  I'd strongly encourage anyone to ride it.  There are some great trails for riding the cyclocross on the new 'phase 3' section.  Big thanks to the guys over at Swope Trails and all the volunteers for heading this project and continuing to keep it maintained.

I haven't had the chance to get out to one, but Swope plays host to Dirty Thursdays through this Thursday the 28th--a great opportunity to meet some cool people and experience the trails first hand in the form of dirt crits on your cross or mountain bike.  Earthriders, Kansas City's social mountain bike club, also hosts their weekly Thursday night Swope ride.  I highly recommend joining up for a ride with those guys/gals and paying for an annual membership.  Your 'donation' in the form of a membership is the price of a dinner for two and gives your support for a year to an organization who does a lot to make mountain biking what it is in Kansas City.

If you didn't read the above and want the Reader's Digest version:

Don't give up the:














Add a:















Ride here:


View Swope Hiking/Biking Trails in a larger map


Until next time keep the wheels down and the miles up.  


P.S.  We carry mountain bikes from Vassago, Pivot, Salsa, Jamis, Felt, and BH.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment